Musings On Country Life

Several months ago, we moved out to the country. Our home sits on 14 beautiful acres overlooking a river. Is this heaven or hell? As we adapt to country life, I find I need a creative outlet to share the trials and tribulations, as well as the joys of country life.

Ahh . . . . Country Life!

Friday, October 8, 2010

Running Into Fire

There are many advantages to living on a hill. There is always a breeze. Water runs downhill so you don’t have to deal with it. And you can see fire trucks approaching your house for a good mile before they get there.
Today was an interesting day. The weather was beautiful and Gene and I decided to get the mowing done. We both had our headphones on, and had Dolly in the house like good, safety conscious people should. We were about two hours into mowing when I glanced up and saw someone turning into our drive. I paused a moment, and discounted the truck as a neighboring farmer taking a shortcut to check on his hay bales. Then I noticed a long line of fire trucks with their lights on approaching our drive, slowing, and turning in. My heart stopped. I thought the fire alarms in the house had gone off and the security company had tried to reach us and called the fire department when we didn’t answer.

My first thought was to race to Gene and warn him. I knew that he could not see the drive and would be startled when a long line of fire trucks rounded the curve and came upon him mowing. And I was frantic to get to the house and get Dolly dog out. So I raced on my mower over to get his attention just as the first car rounded the corner. I pointed frantically at the car, then turned and raced the mower up the hill to the house, threw it in park and ran to save Dolly. I know you should never enter a burning building, but I was willing to take a chance in order to save Dolly the Wonder Dog. (Now I can hear some of you wondering, and no, I did not grab my computer!)

When I got into the house, no alarm, no signs of fire, but I wasn’t taking any chances, I scooped and ran. It turns out that the fire department was looking for a combine that was on fire. Gene was sitting calmly next to the drive talking with the fire fighter when I came barreling out of the house with a frantic dog. Dolly was busy doing her “someone is here” dance on the drive. Two calm men sat watching a burst of activity come flying out of the garage.

Once my heart stopped racing, I explained to Gene that I had my priorities right. Save the Bread Winner first, then Man’s Best Friend. I have spent the evening pointing out to Dolly that I was willing to run into fire to save her. She doesn’t seem too impressed.

1 comment:

  1. From Debbie: I just read this and shared it with Ken. We are both enjoying a great belly laugh which I'm sure you did once you realized that there was no reason for concern. I can't imagine how afraid you must have felt!

    ReplyDelete