Musings On Country Life

Several months ago, we moved out to the country. Our home sits on 14 beautiful acres overlooking a river. Is this heaven or hell? As we adapt to country life, I find I need a creative outlet to share the trials and tribulations, as well as the joys of country life.

Ahh . . . . Country Life!

Friday, July 2, 2010

Pond Scum

It is interesting to me to realize how many things I never thought much about. I have driven by houses with ponds all my life; some are beautiful with blue water, some a bit murky, and a few have algae on them; but I've never given much thought to the care of ponds.

Now I find myself with three ponds. One is only a couple feet deep and has beautiful cattails growing in it. The ducks and birds love it. I see them peaking out at me as I walk along the driveway. The pheasants run toward it for cover.

The second pond is deep, but the water level fluctuates a lot. I know we could seal it with Bentonite, but the sides are very steep and I'm not sure if it is worth the cost, or what it would cost. This pond helps contain run off.

Then there is the big, beautiful pond that graces the entrance to our property. Two families of geese entertain us on the pond. The only problem is that it is totally covered in pond scum this month! I kid you not. The geese are even looking hesitant to climb in. I expect to see them walking on water soon. We have dumped $50 worth of algae eating crystals into the pond with little or no effect. I'm open to ideas . . . .

2 comments:

  1. From Andrea:
    "Love your blog. My Dad puts alum or copper sulfate in his pond to clean it up and stocks it with some kind of fish that helps. Seems like we had to boat out and spread it in the water carefully. I think we may have put hay in it once too for some reason. Just throwing it out there.

    You could check at like a local feed store, Farm and Fleet, Orschlens or some "farm" store like that or the county extention office to see what to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Nancy:
    Love your blog--I am glad you are adjusting to country life. We have 12 acres but no ponds...other than the cement one!"

    ReplyDelete