Musings On Country Life

Several months ago, we moved out to the country. Our home sits on 14 beautiful acres overlooking a river. Is this heaven or hell? As we adapt to country life, I find I need a creative outlet to share the trials and tribulations, as well as the joys of country life.

Ahh . . . . Country Life!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

God Bless Google

I think of all the times that I've been at a loss on what to do out here in the country and how many times that I have turned to Google for help. Tho, at times, the information can be daunting. Take, for example, the solutions for pond scum -- I am now educated on what causes algae in the first place. Sunlight and runoff seem to be the main culprits.

Google references suggest that I just put more shade around the tree. I wonder if that "Charlie Brown" sized willow tree will hurry up and grow to offer some shade. And how many more trees am I going to need to plant? We are already regretting planting a tree so far from the house. We haul water in 5 gallon buckets down to keep it alive. Oh wait, why don't we use pond water!

As for runoff, several articles suggest I divert the runoff to keep it out of the pond. Are you kidding me? I have 14 acres that slope, not so gently, toward the pond. It seems to me that this runoff is what is keeping the darn thing full. Redirecting water is a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment