Musings On Country Life

Several months ago, we moved out to the country. Our home sits on 14 beautiful acres overlooking a river. Is this heaven or hell? As we adapt to country life, I find I need a creative outlet to share the trials and tribulations, as well as the joys of country life.

Ahh . . . . Country Life!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Tractor Parade

We watched a tractor parade last weekend. I vaguely remember reading about it in the local newspaper, but since we live so far out of town, I didn’t pay much attention. Just and Gene and I finished our 3 plus hours of mowing, we loaded up in the Kubota to go fertilize some trees. As we headed down the hill, I could see the line of tractors coming towards us. We parked at the end of the drive and watched a line of 20-30 mostly vintage tractors drive by. Each displayed an American flag and most of the drivers were standing and waving at us as they went by. We got several thumbs up as they pointed at our Kubota Utility Vehicle. I’m certain they were envious. We do, after all, have air conditioning! It was quite a site to see a long line of tractors climbing the hill on the county highway. I suspect that their parade route was over 30 miles long. We had quite a chuckle as they passed and we saw a few cars that were unfortunate enough to be on the road at the same time. They all seemed to be taking it in stride.  What a great celebration of country life!

5 comments:

  1. I am smiling here. There is a painting in that story somewhere............

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Sharon:
    There's just something really heartwarming about country living. It's a great place to live as you please, without much interference/snooping from neighbors. I especially like that you don't have to get all dressed up to leave your house! I love the simple life. It's not something you can 'sell' to everyone, but they'll never understand unless they've tried it. You're doing me proud, girl. It takes some time for transition, but you've apparently ARRIVED in the country! What a great place for Gene to 'kick back' after a long day at work! Maybe you and Gene should join the Annual Tractor Ride across Iowa next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Michelle:
    I had some go by our house too I wonder if they were the same ones!! You need to come into town on Sat morning the parade starts at 10 and you can see more tractors too!

    ReplyDelete