Musings On Country Life

Several months ago, we moved out to the country. Our home sits on 14 beautiful acres overlooking a river. Is this heaven or hell? As we adapt to country life, I find I need a creative outlet to share the trials and tribulations, as well as the joys of country life.

Ahh . . . . Country Life!

Monday, September 13, 2010

The Squirrels are Trying to Kill Us!

Dolly has done a great job of keeping the squirrels on the run since we moved in.  She races out of the garage as soon as you hit the garage door opener, squeaking under the door before it even opens fully.  They know that she will not follow them into the woods, but will chase them to the tree line, where they scramble up the tree and taunt her.  Now they have begun tossing acorns down on us.  It is literally raining acorns under the big oak. 

I spent the weekend sweeping them off the drive, only to have dozens of them fall on my head.  As I look up, the squirrels are chattering away, and I swear they are smiling.  Dolly does her bit by picking up a mouthful of acorns and carrying them to the grass and spitting them out.  She truly is a wonder dog.

While all of this is amusing, I found that it is possible to hydroplane sideways down the hill on a riding lawnmower.  I kid you not.  I'm going to die by squirrel!

No comments:

Post a Comment