Musings On Country Life

Several months ago, we moved out to the country. Our home sits on 14 beautiful acres overlooking a river. Is this heaven or hell? As we adapt to country life, I find I need a creative outlet to share the trials and tribulations, as well as the joys of country life.

Ahh . . . . Country Life!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

2012 Drought - Hold on Little Buddy!

Most of the Midwest is experiencing severe to exceptional drought conditions this year, and we are no exception. With only 2 inches of rain since April, crops are failing, rivers are low, and my ponds are drying up. It has been distressing to watch the waterline recede and the hawks circling the ponds. What a year to have purchased fish to stock the ponds. Unless we get a lot of rainfall soon, my fish are going to have to learn how to walk. We have been going out a couple of times a week to toss floating catfish food out to them. The water starts churning as soon as they hear the Kubota drive up.

As saddened as I am to see the ponds dry up, one of my neighbors came up with a brilliant solution to my fish problem. He offered to come and catch what he can and take them to his pond until our ponds refill in the spring. I must say, I sort of feel like a parent sending their kids to summer camp. You know they will have fun and be well taken care of, but you are going to miss them. But I do plan to send them care packages of floating catfish food.

We did have a brief discussion on whether I would get my fish back. Tagging them seemed a bit excessive. Do you think my neighbor has a catfish fry in his future?

No comments:

Post a Comment