Musings On Country Life

Several months ago, we moved out to the country. Our home sits on 14 beautiful acres overlooking a river. Is this heaven or hell? As we adapt to country life, I find I need a creative outlet to share the trials and tribulations, as well as the joys of country life.

Ahh . . . . Country Life!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

How Do Fish Get Into Ponds?

A stranger stopped by today and asked if he could fish in our ponds. Sure, no problem. I thought it was nice that he asked. Later in the day, I walked down to the ponds to see if I could spot any fish. I'm curious as to what type we might have. I doubt that the shallow pond has any fish, but we enjoy watching the ducks swim among the cattails. The big pond has carp in it according to the previous owner, but I'm wondering how fish get into the pond in the first place?

Do people actually buy fish and stock small ponds? I know this is possible, but where does one buy live fish? If they are tiny, will they survive? Does the pond have to be deep enough so that when it freezes in the winter, there is enough water to stay alive -- that rules out the small pond. What kind of fish should I buy?

And finally, the otter in the pond scared the beegeebies out of me this morning. I saw a small head swimming across the lake with a long trail behind it and thought it was a snake. A really BIG snake! Then it did a flip and I realized it was an otter. I don't like snakes. Haven't formed an opinion on otters yet. Wonder if that little guy will become a problem.

Probably eats fish.

1 comment:

  1. Peter wrote:
    "Kathy, after reading several posts on your blog I have two things to say. 1. Yes they do have companies that stock ponds. They are very common here in Minnesota and if they don't have any in Iowa I'm sure they would travel down there with some fish. and...
    2. Aside from large amounts of land, the best thing about country living (at least up here) is snowmobiling!!! I highly recommend you look into purchasing a snowmobile, winter will take on a whole new meaning."

    ReplyDelete