Musings On Country Life

Several months ago, we moved out to the country. Our home sits on 14 beautiful acres overlooking a river. Is this heaven or hell? As we adapt to country life, I find I need a creative outlet to share the trials and tribulations, as well as the joys of country life.

Ahh . . . . Country Life!

Friday, December 17, 2010

Town Meetings

I get a lot of entertainment reading the local paper and following the minutes from the town meetings. After living in cities with populations in the millions, several with populations in the hundreds of thousands, and one with a population around 70,000, I now find myself in a community of 2,500. In large cities, the city council meetings rarely made the paper unless there was a controversial issue discussed. Here, they print a summary after each meeting. I’m delighted to read that the water treatment plant came in under budget; that the city has agreed to let AmeriCorp clean up “the park”; and that there was a discussion on whether we need police coverage four days a week or seven days a week.


But I must say, I laughed at the following: “He (Sherriff) also let the council know that he had to purchase a flashlight and a holster for a taser. The city did have the items at one time, but he had been unable to locate them and no one was able to tell him what may have happened to them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment