Musings On Country Life

Several months ago, we moved out to the country. Our home sits on 14 beautiful acres overlooking a river. Is this heaven or hell? As we adapt to country life, I find I need a creative outlet to share the trials and tribulations, as well as the joys of country life.

Ahh . . . . Country Life!

Friday, June 1, 2012

Those Aren't My Fish!

Who knew that fish could be so entertaining? On quiet evenings, we make our way down to the ponds with a small scoop of floating catfish food. Getting near the pond and not in the pond requires planning, balance and a bit of luck. So far, I'm running about 50/50.


The first couple of feedings, we could see fish were eating the food, but we couldn't see the fish themselves. And then came Friday. My husband and I climb down the hill, then up on the bank so we can see directly down into the water. We toss a handful of fish food into the water and within seconds, a small (8") silver fish with a black spot behind it's gill and on it's tail swims up and starts gobbling the food. My husband is so excited to finally see our fish. He says, "that's not what I thought carp looked like." I don't have the heart to tell him that isn't one of the fish I bought. We laugh as the fish gobbles up the food, and we toss in another handful.
Suddenly, we see a wave heading toward us. I look at my husband as I plan my escape and say, "Don't get between me and the Kubota!" I think something big is in the pond and it is coming our way. Mud begins churning at our feet, and then several large catfish start fighting over the food and push out little silver guy. Gene comments, "Those are nice sized catfish." And now I have to explain that those aren't the fish I just stocked the pond with. Who knew that we had fish in the pond already? I just spent $75 on fish. Where are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment